PS4

Discuss PC and console gaming
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: PS4

Postby Tappy » 24 Oct 2013, 10:01

robbo wrote:Thought the Kasabian poster was a bit late for the ps2 timing but a quick look on Wiki and they became big in 2004 so could've worked in that time frame (but with maybe a slim!)

This has me wondering too! Yeah, I think it's feasible - I vaguely remember Kasabian music videos in Uni, and I had a fat PS2 (although the PS2 could have come along much earlier in that 5 year period!)
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 16 Nov 2013, 21:22

So, blue light of death woes for many PS4s: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Lau ... Descending

Did make me think about my electronic, first off the line, launch day products. I don't think I've had many, but the few I can think of don't come off too well: the Surface went well for almost a year and then bricked. Lumia 800 was sort of launch day, that was sent back about 3 times. I don't think my Lumia 920 counts since I waited for the yellow one to be launched - makes sense since it's still working I suppose!
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 16 Nov 2013, 21:38

Oh that doesn't look good, hopefully this is a tiny minority but 350ish 1 star reviews seems a lot in a short space of time. Also its hard to know how this compares to the launch of the last generation as the internet wasn't as ubiquitous then.

Getting nervous about the Xbox One, MS doesn't exactly have a great track record with hardware. Roll on Friday.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Nov 2013, 02:43

It's difficult to know how bad it is as some sites are claiming the number of faulty consoles is small and the issue is being exaggerated whereas others are claiming there is a hardware design issue. Amazon one star reviews are difficult to gauge because what frequently happens with a negatively reported issue is that people will flock to Amazon to leave one star reviews even though they haven't bought the product. It's good that Amazon don't hide any reviews no matter how bad they are but it can be a problem in these circumstances.

Quite a few articles have pointed out how poor the Xbox One design is compared to the PS4 as the MS console is much larger and has a separate power brick even though internally their hardware is the same. The assumption is that Microsoft have gone overboard on cooling to ensure they avoid the RRoD issues which plagued the 360, time will tell which company actually has the better design - it could well be the Xbox One's physically larger design works better in protecting the internal hardware against thermal issues.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 17 Nov 2013, 12:58

Yep Amazon reviews are a blessing and a curse, I'm sure the failures are well within normal manufacturing tolerances. It's just a little concerning, especially with the review embargo still being in place on the Xbox One, MS really should have got the embargo lifted last week.

The Xbox One is huge, I hadn't realised how much bigger it is than the PS4. Having an external power supply makes sense from an engineering standpoint as it removes a massive source of heat from the delicate bits, its a pain though as swapping out the PS4 you can use the original cables but for the Xbox it will mean digging through my nest of cables.

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Nov 2013, 14:32

I had initially assumed both consoles were similar sizes given the similar hardware, it was the only the other day I was reading an article that pointed out how large the Xbox One which is surprising given it has lower hardware and no integral power supply. From the teardown pictures the components within the PS4 are tightly packed together whereas the Xbox One parts are a lot more spacious, the Sony looks like a custom design whereas the Xbox One looks a bit more like using off the shelf parts. It clearly isn't but just the way it looks from its layout.

The other big difference seems to be the fan size as the PS4 fan is small but the Xbox One fan looks enormous with the radius similar to the width of the DVD drive:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadge ... 60x440.jpg

That should mean quieter running and better thermal performance though, I don't mind the size of the Xbox One as it's going to be sitting below the TV but the power brick is an annoyance as it makes it more fiddly to move the console around. There's a full teardown of the PS4 here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStat ... down/19493

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 18 Nov 2013, 10:03

Yeah, there is certainly a lot of space in that Xbox One chassis. Does seem as if they have overheating paranoia. Although from those pics the PS4 looks deeper/longer, but hard to tell since it's so small!

On the bonus side, just think how much smaller they can make the slim version of the X1!

I did alol when I got my 360 Slim and saw it had a power brick. Just didn't expect that.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 18 Nov 2013, 15:32

Tappy wrote:alol

:lol: loving it. :D

um, best say something about the ps4 too. 1 million sales in 24 hours!
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 20 Nov 2013, 18:44

scarbunny wrote:The Xbox One is huge, I hadn't realised how much bigger it is than the PS4.

Just reading the IGN review, it seems the PS4 is actually really small and the XBox One is normal!

IGN wrote:Ultimately, each decision is in service of the PS4’s unbelievably compact form factor. Measuring at roughly 2” thick, 10.8” wide, and 12” deep, the PS4 is 35% thinner and takes up considerably less surface area than the Xbox One. It’s even slightly thinner than the PS3 Super Slim. In other words, the PS4 is entering the new generation with a form factor smaller than what had previously taken six years to reach with the PS3.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Nov 2013, 00:51

I'm not sure that's entirely the case I think the Xbox One is bigger than the 360?

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 21 Nov 2013, 10:16

Johnmcl7 wrote:I'm not sure that's entirely the case I think the Xbox One is bigger than the 360?

John

I'm not sure, I was being facetious. I'd have to dig out some dimensions...

Xbox One: 13.1" x 3.1" x 10.7" (w x h x d)
Xbоx 360: 12.15" x 3.27" x 10.15"
Original Xbоx: 12.6" x 4" x 10.2"”
Launch PS3: 12.75” x 3.86” x 10.8”

volumes:
ps3: 8726.9
xbox: 7727.4
xbox one: 6853.0
xbox 360: 6616.9
ps3 slim: 5217.7
xbox 360s: 5032.5
ps2: 4179.1
ps4: 4050.0
ps3 superslim: 3815.3
gamecube: 2656.5
pstwo: 978.9
wii: 955.5
(These are from multiple sources so aren't consistent, - i.e. taking figures above give a different number, but the order seems correct and I thought it was interesting to see!)

The Xbox One certainly seems to be the widest console on the list, although some sources have the width and depth swapped... The PS3 was the next widest at 12.75”.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Dec 2013, 18:50

My mate's PS4 hasn't arrived from Amazon yet. He's in the pre-Christmas bunch though but seems some with expected day one releases haven't got theirs from Amazon.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 02 Dec 2013, 10:27

Could be worse, a friend of mine got his on day one and it packed in the next day. Now he has to wait for stock for a replacement.

That's worse, right?!

I've decided I'll just try to win one for the time being. Don't know why more people don't chose this option...
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 02 Dec 2013, 10:48

That is pretty crap, especially as in the US they had stock set aside for DOA machines.

Tempted to buy a PS4, an acquaintance of mine has an extra Amazon preorder waiting for him to update his payment details for. But I think I will wait until summer and see how things shake out.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 02 Dec 2013, 14:40

I'll probably get both, because I'm weak, but I think the second will be in several year's time after the inevitable chassis upgrade. So perhaps I should be getting a PS4 first, since the Xbox One Slim will be tiny considering the space they have set aside for cooling atm!

Either way, I'm hoping to resist long enough to get an incremental upgrade one as the first machine, perhaps with a larger HDD.

Update on the broken PS4, Sony are sending a new one on Thursday.

Return to “Gaming”