PS4

Discuss PC and console gaming
matt
Cake
Cake

Re: PS4

Postby matt » 11 Jun 2013, 14:02

robbo wrote:Lolz to the Sony vid.

It looks massive in the promo pic but super slim in the photograph. Maybe it does have some sort of light refracting coating on it? Or is the back just not as chunky?

How much does the Eye cost? ~£80?

think it is £50?

either way wouldn't buy it.

Controllers are meant to be £50+ though!
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 11 Jun 2013, 15:13

Yeah, I read controllers and the PS Eye Move Toy were both priced at £49. I don't really know what the PS Move camera does, I need to watch the Keynote.

Anyone see the EA or Ubisoft Keynotes? Some nice games, but I think Watch Dogs is still my favourite looking one. A lot of games are featuring second screen abilities, or even subgames to play on your mobile or tablet when you're away from the console.

It's the Build Conference in a few weeks, think there will be some talk about XBox One apps there, could be interesting.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Jun 2013, 18:08

scarbunny wrote:So it's £70 than the Xbox One, and seems to be less annoying to own. I need to see a proper summary of what was said in the conference but this seems like the sensible option.

I'd say in short the advantages the PS4 has over the XBox one are that the PS4 is a good bit cheaper, there's no restrictions on used games (games and their license are still disc based as with the current consoles), there's no mandatory check in online (the Xbox One needs to be able to check in online once every 24 hours), there's no mandatory camera system (the PS4 controllers will have a Move light on them but the camera is a separate accessory) and the PS4 has as bit more horsepower with a GPU packing around 50% more performance plus the system has higher memory bandwidth. (actual performance difference will be dependent on final clock speeds)

There are quite a few Xbox franchises I'm keen on and I prefer the Xbox controllers but from what I've seen so far the PS4 is more appealing as a general console, the Xbox's Kinect, multitasking and DVR features are not of interest, I think at a time when people are moving away from traditional television viewing to streaming the DVR features are far too late.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 11 Jun 2013, 18:12

SKY on the xbox is nice for me (I'm cheap!)

Could always keep my xbox3shitty for that though.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 12 Jun 2013, 01:01

matt wrote:
robbo wrote:Lolz to the Sony vid.

It looks massive in the promo pic but super slim in the photograph. Maybe it does have some sort of light refracting coating on it? Or is the back just not as chunky?

How much does the Eye cost? ~£80?

think it is £50?

either way wouldn't buy it.

Controllers are meant to be £50+ though!

doubt I would either but thought it might be reason for MS to justify the price difference.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 13 Jun 2013, 12:18

Abridged E3 SCEE Conference

Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Jun 2013, 00:32

Thanks Tappy, that guy is as entertaining as ever 'For this beard, I paid the iron price!"

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Jun 2013, 11:06

Stupid promo video, full of pointless hipsters and stupid interludes, of the PS4 interface.

From what you get to see in the video I'm not sure I like it, seems a little too "Facebooky" and the layout seems to be vertical scroll to it which is a little odd. All the social stuff looks annoying, but you have to use it so that's a bonus, this might be more useful if I had more gamer friends. All the game play video stuff seems a little in your face as it seems to be on the first page of the interface.

Being able to buy and download to the PS4 from a mobile looks good assuming it for all devices not just Sony phones. It looks like a decent improvement over the current XMB, using the SixAxis/Move for text input seems like it works pretty well, hopefully it will be better than text entry on the Wii.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 19 Jun 2013, 12:55

"I don't got that"? Oh my... is that how people speak now? And yes, very Facebooky, in fact it reminds me of MS Live Messenger with the Facebook integration and the vertical scrolliness.

scarbunny wrote:Being able to buy and download to the PS4 from a mobile looks good assuming it for all devices not just Sony phones.

Yeah, they must be catering for the iPhone as well given all the hipsters in that. IRL that girl would have a white iPhone 5 in a coloured case...

I believe you can purchase and download through the store webpage now, so even if there wasn't a PS4 app for non Sony phones, the website would probably give all the functionality featured there.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Jun 2013, 13:04

Tappy wrote:I believe you can purchase and download through the store webpage now, so even if there wasn't a PS4 app for non Sony phones, the website would probably give all the functionality featured there.

Good point, but the webstore is an abomination on a proper browser and even worse through the PS3, so I hate to think what its like in a mobile browser.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 19 Jun 2013, 13:20

scarbunny wrote:Good point, but the webstore is an abomination on a proper browser and even worse through the PS3, so I hate to think what its like in a mobile browser.

I was expecting some new fangled webpage to accompany the PS4, but I might be getting ahead of myself there! And indeed, what have they done to the store on the PS3?! As a preview of things to come, it's a jerky mess!
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Jun 2013, 13:33

Tappy wrote:
scarbunny wrote:Good point, but the webstore is an abomination on a proper browser and even worse through the PS3, so I hate to think what its like in a mobile browser.

I was expecting some new fangled webpage to accompany the PS4, but I might be getting ahead of myself there! And indeed, what have they done to the store on the PS3?! As a preview of things to come, it's a jerky mess!

I suppose a new webpage is possible, but the current one has only been around a short while hasn't it? I suppose the store on the PS3 could just be suffering because it is designed for more powerful hardware.

Bit of an aside but am I the only one who suffers with the PSN store, on the console, having inconsistent sound effects? The first few times I used it I didn't realize it had them, scrolling a list I only get the clicky sound occasionally, and the "bleep" when you select something is so rare I thought something had gone wrong the first time I heard it.

Also, looking at the video Knack is not what I was expecting.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 21 Oct 2013, 22:58

Thought I'd give this thread some love. A few of my mates are going for the PS4 instead of the Xbox One.

Thought the Kasabian poster was a bit late for the ps2 timing but a quick look on Wiki and they became big in 2004 so could've worked in that time frame (but with maybe a slim!)
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 22 Oct 2013, 13:40

i've not cancelled my xboxone pre-order yet. I have the for the ps4.

Still not convinced I'm going to get one.
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 23 Oct 2013, 18:47

Ok guys, advance apologies for dwelling under the bridge.

You've convinced me so far that this is another black plastic box much like its predecessors, which has more numbers, will age like a falling rock and undoubtedly feature all the weary familiar titles with higher iterative numerals.

I understand why people buy these things, but am eternally pleased to be devoid of any desire for any of them. From experiencing the boxes of others, I am personally not missing out on anything whatsoever.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/

Return to “Gaming”