PS4

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: PS4

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Feb 2013, 23:24

For those who don't want to wade through the two hours of fairly pointless stuff, this is a reasonably accurate abridged version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJDn0jRnUQ

Still haven't figured out what that bizarre section with the move controller and musical instruments was about.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Feb 2013, 01:07

robbo wrote:Console wars ftw!!

Makes me want to dust off my N64 and play some SM64...

I can see this not being much of a console war if the new Xbox is similarly X86 based and using a standard graphics card as there will be even less difference than the XBox 360 and PS3. The two are broadly similar in terms of capability and there hasn't been much to split them so this time there could be an even smaller difference. Well assuming Microsoft don't have anything fancy to add as I'm assuming it's going to be much the same idea as the PS4.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Feb 2013, 01:30

Anandtech have done some solid analysis on the specification so far:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6770/sony ... are-inside

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 20 May 2013, 23:11

So, the PS4 looks a bit like this.... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=288
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 May 2013, 23:37

Hmm...looks like a random collection of Sony parts, that's for sure.

I was watching the Nurburgring 24 hour race today and there was some talk about Gran Turismo 6 and the decision to release it for the PS3 which is partially down to one of the cars in the race being driven by one of the main guys from Polyphony digital. I was thinking it would be awesome if the new consoles could offer a full Le Mans compliment of 56 cars but the Nurburgring 24 hour goes far further and has a rather incredible 200+ cars (175 this year) ranging from Audi R8 V10's down to Renault Clios with vintages ranging from brand new cars to all manner of older 3 series and even an Opel Manta. Watching the race I was just thinking I'd love to have a proper simulation of all those cars...

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 21 May 2013, 00:47

can't see GT6 being up to much more than GT5.5

MS event tomorrow then lots on june 10th
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 21 May 2013, 08:41

Johnmcl7 wrote:I was watching the Nurburgring 24 hour race today and there was some talk about Gran Turismo 6 and the decision to release it for the PS3 which is partially down to one of the cars in the race being driven by one of the main guys from Polyphony digital.

matt wrote:can't see GT6 being up to much more than GT5.5

MS event tomorrow then lots on june 10th

Yeah, GT6 would have been a "duh" PS4 release for me. I agree with Matt, on PS3 so soon after GT5 (in relative terms) it can't be anything more than a tweak here and there.

So, the Xbox8 thingy, think we will actually get to see the console and not just bits of it? I have found a drinking game, so I'm set for the event at least: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/33652741 ... 77/photo/1

robbo wrote:So, the PS4 looks a bit like this.... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=288

What's with this teaser video for the console anyway, they've been watching too many mobile phone announcements! It's a lump of plastic that sits half hidden in a living room. They hadn't decided on the final design for the announcement, they should stop making something out of it because it's not going to be any better than the hype they are creating and will come down to the same conversation everywhere:
"Seen the new PS4?"
"Nah, what's it look like?"
"Same really, black n stuff"
"Cool. Does it still have a spinny Playstation badge?"

I've only just actually considered that the final PS4 might be blurry to look at...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 21 May 2013, 10:27

if it is a square box, there is going to be a lot of ikea shoppers unhappy with their now useless TV stands / media cabinets.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 21 May 2013, 13:56

As long as it has a flat top for me to put my new xbox on. The convex top of the PS3 annoys me more than it should.

GT6 not being a PS4 title is just crazy, especially with no backwards compatibility in the PS4. It's a little like GTA5 not being a launch title for the consoles.

Looking forward to seeing what Microsoft do with the new xBox tonight, although Sony could stand to learn a thing or two from Microsoft about scheduling press events 6PM PDT is just stupid, the wrong time for any one outside of the US.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 21 May 2013, 14:08

Tappy wrote:So, the Xbox8 thingy, think we will actually get to see the console and not just bits of it? I have found a drinking game, so I'm set for the event at least: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/33652741 ... 77/photo/1

I've only just actually considered that the final PS4 might be blurry to look at...

Let's see how bladdered you are come this evening/tomorrow morn! :drunk: :tired: :scared:

And that would be hilarious. A PS4 that has a light diffuser built into it for soft focus lines, except every now and then, when walking towards it, you get up close and BAM! it's in focus! :D
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 11 Jun 2013, 08:39

Was there something happening lastnight? ;)

There's a price (£349), there's hardware, there's no need to connect to the internet, and games can be traded (guess that means you need the disc to play?).

What's with the conversion rate on these consoles?! Is U.S. tax that low?

Looks decent. Disappointed they didn't opt for the Robbo's light diffuser to make the PS4 blurry though.

Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 11 Jun 2013, 09:46

tough one, I like everything they've done to counter MS shafting consumers, but so far only driveclub has caught my eye.

Xbox look to have a lot more titles on the way.

Think I need to get some podcasts on the go to get my head around it all.

strong trolz from sony:

scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 11 Jun 2013, 11:29

So it's £70 than the Xbox One, and seems to be less annoying to own. I need to see a proper summary of what was said in the conference but this seems like the sensible option.

Mandatory Vita Remote Play and PS+ makes this seem like a no brainer.

But for some reason I still want an Xbox One.

Like Matt I need some podcasts to explain it all, although I need some un-biased ones that aren't going to just rag on the Xbox. Although that might be whats needed considering some of the things they are doing.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 11 Jun 2013, 12:59

Lolz to the Sony vid.

It looks massive in the promo pic but super slim in the photograph. Maybe it does have some sort of light refracting coating on it? Or is the back just not as chunky?

How much does the Eye cost? ~£80?
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 11 Jun 2013, 13:55

PS4 region free too.

This could be the first Playstation I buy...

Like Matt says, all about the games, but Sony has a bigger first party studio output than Microsoft, most 3rd party is going to be multi platform and the higher power of the PS4 might give these games the edge.

I think Sony probably have more in the works than they have revealed so far.

j

Return to “Gaming”