STEAM

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: STEAM

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Sep 2013, 13:24

My brothers are very interested in this as unsurprisingly they have fairly small Steam libraries and I have a very large one.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Feb 2014, 18:55

Does anyone transfer the game data between machines? Previously I used to just transfer the raw data in the Common folder which worked fine, I'd just install on the new one and it would see the content and activate it. However more commonly at the moment when I do this, it just wipes the local content and starts again which is no use.

I have tried the proper backup/restore but I find it's extremely slow as it compresses everything (and somehow manages to get a larger file size?!) and then annoyingly doesn't work when I try to restore it on another machine.

John
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 20 Feb 2014, 13:27

Like you say, I've always just transerred the common directory and it has worked, although my friend, Fake-John, tried it a few months ago and things had to be redownloaded, progress and saves were lost in many games.

Perhaps they've changed something recently...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 20 Feb 2014, 20:15

I haven't done a Steam move for quite a while now, but used the same folder dropping method last time.

However, Steam did go through some file format meddling months ago, which I noticed when validating a couple of unplayed games.

As for loss of game user data, much, or from personal experience most, of it for non-Valve games is stored in Windows user profiles. More often than not it is located in the user documents folder and some in the application data folders.

A couple of shock exceptions have actually saved data in the user profile saved games folder(!), notably Rage and Wings of Prey.

With FttH I doubt I would bother with another game content drive transfer, just user data.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Feb 2014, 01:54

I'm starting to wonder if fake-John and I are related?! We seem to share a too many attributes for it to be a coincidence!

I was wondering if it was a DRM issue that forced games to be downloaded each time which is the case for some other systems but I'm starting to think it might be a bug. The way I download steam games is that I have Steam set up on my microserver and it downloads the games overnight when the connection is uncapped and not in use, then I transfer it to the actual machines. It used to work fine, I'm not sure what's mucking it up.

In this case it was Lego Avengers, I kept trying to reset it by removing the partial download data, deleting it from the Steam and starting again but it kept downloading from 0% even though it would open the correct files when you clicked the link from properties and verify the cache. I don't know what I did different but then it started working so I'm a bit puzzled.

You're correct that most saves are with the user profile's documents folder although as Steam can be just a launcher saves can be pretty much anywhere.

I need to get organised with fibre here, unfortunately my ISP was bought over and unsurprisingly service has gone downhill and prices have gone up so I need to find another similar company.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 28 Jun 2014, 20:20

So has any one bothered with any deals in the summer sale this year?

I've not really seen anything worth buying, apart from Shadow Run Returns for £2.74 but not sure how or if it will run on my Macbook and Wasteland 2 but that was still £20+ and its an Early Access game so I have no idea what state it is in, what is included and I dislike the whole Early Access scheme generally.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Jun 2014, 21:39

nope! I've been happily playing wolfenstein and starcraft 2 HotS. Got crysis 3 foe a fiver on origin. not enjoying it..
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Jun 2014, 23:57

Oddly I haven't bought anything which is very unusual, there's nothing caught my eye and I'm being a lot more careful buying stuff that I'm not familiar with.

I've come to dislike the Early Access scheme as well, I bought a game on it last sale and paid quite a bit for it (£22.50) although I'd heard the game was good and as it stood was quite decent. I regret buying it because of course a more mature version of it is now £15 and will no doubt if it's eventually finished it will be a tenner. So effectively I'm penalised for supporting the game early on which doesn't seem right, I'm not that convinced with the game not sure it's going to turn out that great. So I've banned myself from buying early access games.

Oddly enough I'm playing Starcraft II at the moment as well although the original Wings of Liberty and I reckon it's the best RTS single player I've played, the missions are surprisingly varied and the addition of bonus objectives and being able to make upgrades between levels adds to the motivation to do well in the levels.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 29 Jun 2014, 01:59

Have you played Heart of the swarm yet? Its even better! I like the evolution bits in it to build up the skills on the army!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2014, 01:06

I see you can manage downloads on a PC from the mobile client now which is rather clever, I was looking for something on the Android app and noticed I could see my server (which is always running Steam) - I had the option to resume paused downloads or initiate a new download from the rest of my library which I thought was rather clever.

I just wish they'd add in the feature to allow Steam clients to automatically transfer game data to each other so if a client installs a game and finds another one has the game installed, it will automatically pull the data over rather than download a fresh copy from the internet. It would be a lot less hassle for Steam box style PC's and it would save Valve a ton of bandwidth as well as I doubt most people manually transfer the game data as I do for now.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

STEAM

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Aug 2016, 01:57

There's some interesting going on's with No Man's Sky at the moment on Steam - Valve appeared to have extended their normal refund process and were refunding people who were well over the usual refund limit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGa ... h=b98b94d2

Although now they're saying that's an error and the refunds shouldn't have been given:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGa ... h=bb83df93

It's not the first time Steam has offered blanket refunds as they've done so in the past for the likes of Arkham Knight and Journey of the Light although those games were both seriously broken, No Man's Sky has issues but arguably not as broken. The game did have serious issues in that many features that were promised were completely missing and the game suffered a lot of performance issues on PC. It's been claimed to be 'overhyped' but that seems an understatement as the developer flat out lied about the game, the guy in the following video is a bit over the top but it does a good job explaining the issues with the game:

Even before this, No Man's Sky had suffered a massive drop in players in the first week which from what I've seen of the game seems typical as that's the point when people realise there really is no game. The guy who posted the advice about the refunds received a huge backlash including having the thread initially deleted and throughout the thread there were people taking swipes at people who requested a refund as they believed they were ruining the future of the game since the developer would be starved of money although I saw it the opposite way, if the developer gets a ton of launch day sales they've little incentive to do anything more with the game but if they lose a lot of people and want to get them back and buy the game again then there's a lot of incentive for them to fix the game and put the expected features back in.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

STEAM

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2016, 15:25

Steam have made a fairly drastic change to their review system in that now only people who have bought the game directly through Steam will count for the overall review rating:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... nipulation

I'm not sure what I think of this mainly because I don't know how much the reviews have been manipulated, the fact such big changes are being made suggests it is a serious problem. I can't think of any game I've seen that has an incorrect rating and most poor games including heavily hyped ones have received terrible overall review ratings as well.

John
jurassicjim

STEAM

Postby jurassicjim » 14 Sep 2016, 11:23

I do understand the outrage from developers after reading a bit about this.

But from a platform point of view, it makes total sense for Steam to do this surely? It does ensure that a higher percentage of the reviews will be genuine.

j
Replicant

STEAM

Postby Replicant » 14 Sep 2016, 13:38

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post
But from a platform point of view, it makes total sense for Steam to do this surely? It does ensure that a higher percentage of the reviews will be genuine.

j

I would have to agree with this too.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

STEAM

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Sep 2016, 21:20

On the other hand though, say a game has had a great kickstarter release and backers liked the game, that won't show on the Steam page or similarly there was a decent VR game that was bundled with the Vive and isn't now has gone from lots of positive reviews to very few even though it's well liked. There's also odd cases like Arkham Knight which was rated positively by Steam purchasers and negatively by the non-Steam purchasers, clearly the non-Steam purchasers were correct in that case.

I don't see why they can't keep on going as they are just keeping an eye on the difference in ratings between the two types of reviews as it would seem an easy red flag if there's a large discrepancy between the two that something is up.

John

Return to “Gaming”