STEAM

Discuss PC and console gaming
Combat Marmot
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Re: STEAM

Postby Combat Marmot » 18 Feb 2013, 23:11

Didn't have that today John, but for the last few days it's been "verifying installation" for about 5 minutes before it starts.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Feb 2013, 01:06

I noticed there was a huge update the other day but I'm not sure what it's done as the client still looks the same. I've found what has gone wrong and it's a bit of a strange one, when I click the properties of a game and then click the local files tab it's showing the amount of space the game is taking up on drive H. The problem is the games are install on drive D and have never been installed on drive H which is a BD-ROM drive. What's even stranger is that if you click to verify the integrity it succeeds even though it can't see any of the files and it claims the games are fully installed.

The solution seems to be to tell Steam to delete the local content which greys it out in the list then install the game to the D drive, it finds the existing files and then reactivates which is then good to go. Well in theory, one game re-downloaded itself although thankfully it was only 100MB while the 6GB one didn't download anything.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 19 Feb 2013, 20:12

The last big update was on the 14th according to the Client Updates section of the news and added linux support amongst quite a few other things.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_client

I did notice a message afterwards asking to restart as the beta had ended ... hmmm?

It might have just been a blooper, or for linux perhaps. A bit messy nonetheless.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Feb 2013, 02:34

I received the end of beta error message as well which I thought was a bit odd, there doesn't look to be that much given the update is 100MB and I don't think I've ever seen a Steam update as large as that before.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Mar 2013, 22:30

I shouldn't be surprised but oddly I am, Steam has managed to surpass even my expectations for sheer utter crappiness, after it's impressive step of rendering my games library invalid by claiming they were installed on another drive I was starting to get a bit sick of it. For some stupid reason when trying to work out whether it needs to download the files, it's still looking at a non-existent drive and ignoring the complete files that are already there and re-downloading the files. I assumed it was only claiming it was downloading the files but no, it is downloading the files on top of the existing identical files?!

So I followed Valve's instructions to sort this and it's completely obliterated my games library, I cancelled the uninstall when it started tearing apart my games library (which Valve claims it shouldn't do) but had already lost 110GB of my library, now with Steam reinstalled everything is gone. It's claiming no games are installed and it won't recognise the existing data so when I try to install, it's re-downloading right on top of the same bloody files all over again. Bearing in mind there's 600GB of files and I'm on a 3.8Mbs connection, I'm basically completely screwed and can't play any games on Steam for now.

Bravo Steam, thanks very much for your total and utter incompetence - instead of moaning about Windows 8 and how you're going to make gaming hardware, how about FIXING YOUR STUPID BLOODY WINDOWS CLIENT!!

Apologies for the ranting, to put it mildly I am immensely pissed off.

John
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 12 Mar 2013, 21:38

You don't seem have much luck with Steam John. I must admit that apart from the mystery with the linux launch, I can't recall any weirdness and have never suffered any calamities.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Jul 2013, 14:43

So summer trading cards...do you just get the randomly or are some common and some rare? I've got a fair few doubles now I'm up for trading if anyone else is.

John
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 22 Jul 2013, 20:01

The only duplicate i have at the minute is skyrim as I sold the rest on the market.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 23 Jul 2013, 20:32

I'm up for trading, I have Bioshock, Dead Island and Tomby doubles.

Need Kerbal, Reus, Skyrim and Torchlight 2. Just give me a ping if I'm online and you fancy trading.

Just noticed some games I bought that I forgot about!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Jul 2013, 18:39

I have Reus and Skyrim doubles I'll swap you for Bioshock and Dead island?

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Jul 2013, 23:48

Ok, I'm sorted with Tappy - I still have doubles of Reus and Chivalry and the single cards I have are Bioshock, Chivalry, Dead Island Riptide, Football Manager 2013, Prison Architect, Reus, Skyrim and Tomb Raider so I'm not sure which are the two I'm needing.

I'm having a lot of problems with Steam ignoring the command to pause updates as it keeps resuming them itself, I fired up Iplayer and it was really slow so I checked the router's data flow monitor and found it was my PC was the guilty culprit as it was maxing the connection. Sure enough I noticed Steam had automatically resumed a download I paused so I paused it again, fired up Iplayer but it was still struggling. Steam had resumed the same download again so I paused it but then a moment later it resumed again, it finally paused but then it started resuming another paused download. I've shut Steam down as I was having the same issue the other day.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 26 Jul 2013, 09:19

If you click on one of the menu bars on the top, there's a drop down named 'badges' and that will show you your progress and what cards you're missing.

I've had issues with Steam not wanting to resume paused updates. Much like you, I take the shutdown and restart approach!
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 12 Sep 2013, 13:02

So what does everyone think of this then....

Valve allows PC game-sharing via Steam
Y.N.W.A.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 12 Sep 2013, 13:36

It has potential - the time to save the game before you're booted off is a clear distinction from just giving someone your password. Wonder how it works with expansions, could I play my mate's Civ V: Brave New World - or is that too complicated?
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 12 Sep 2013, 13:36

Seems pretty nice to be honest! If I can share my friends accounts and vise versa would be nice as I trust them.

j

Return to “Gaming”