What you playing at the minute?

Discuss PC and console gaming
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 22 Jan 2018, 19:57

call of duty. Still not prestiged yet, the grind is real!

Zombies is insanely detailed to get into hard mode, spent a good few hours with my buddies walking me through but ended up having to tap out after midnight, think we lost too many waves getting the stuff done.

Have missed it and enjoying more than I thought.
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 22 Jan 2018, 21:43

It’s all about the Switch for me. Been playing Super Mario Odyssey lately. Pretty good game.

The Switch is a great console. Just needs some more games in the catalogue now.
Y.N.W.A.
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 29 Jan 2018, 11:16

Suddenly I have had the itch to play some games which is nice.. thought I might have been getting old but its worn off ;)

Forza motorsport 7 - got it for £10 quite like it so far!

Battlefield 1 - only been playing the campaign can't face going lone wolf in multiplayer!

Plus a mixture of project cars, papers please and gta 5...
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Feb 2018, 01:34

I was impressed with the weather and dust effects in FM7 with the rain coming down and forcing the car to tip toe round and in another race blowing sand across the track but I got bored of FM6 quite quickly and didn't think FM7 would be much different. I also didn't like the lootbox implementation particularly with the loss of the core mechanic that switching off driver aids and other aspects to increase the difficulty which in turn would increase the reward, it meant it was worth spending time struggling with tough settings as the reward made it worth it.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 05 Feb 2018, 12:56

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Just finished wolfenstein 2! Twas fun!

Still working my way through this, very enjoyable but it's a bit of a weird one as the cut scenes are much better than the actual game play. I find myself pushing through the levels to get to the next cut scene, the one at the end of New Orleans being a particular highlight. I ended up dropping the difficulty to the one between easy and medium as I was dying more often than was fun, the slight downside being there is now no challenge at all.

Spoiler:
I've just finished the Venus section so not much left to play, but gonna take some time to do the Ubercommander levels before finishing it off other wise I'll never go back to it.

Also nearly 60 hours into Assassins Creed Origins, it's a perfectly serviceable Assassins Creed game, the side missions are dull but the main story is reasonable. The changes to the formula are generally for the better, but it still has the annoying sections where you are pulled back to the "real world" just as things are getting interesting.
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 15 Feb 2018, 10:27

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I was impressed with the weather and dust effects in FM7 with the rain coming down and forcing the car to tip toe round and in another race blowing sand across the track but I got bored of FM6 quite quickly and didn't think FM7 would be much different. I also didn't like the lootbox implementation particularly with the loss of the core mechanic that switching off driver aids and other aspects to increase the difficulty which in turn would increase the reward, it meant it was worth spending time struggling with tough settings as the reward made it worth it.

I'm very impressed with the weather effects, AI Cars not so much. I get the feeling when racing that the "faster" cars have an unfair advantage up until the last half of the last lap.. can be very tough sometimes to keep in touch with the front pack, but once im up there their speed just seems to fade away...
Yeah!
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 19 Feb 2018, 11:48

Still battling on with BF1 and Forza 7.

Finally managed to get into Assassin's creed Unity as well!

In other news had to do a complete reinstall on my PC so hopefully this week will be setting the Vive back up to play some H3VR.
Yeah!
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Feb 2018, 21:22

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Just finished wolfenstein 2! Twas fun!

Finally got this finished, great story, excellent cutscenes, ok gameplay, overall very fun. Glad to have got one of the 40 odd games on my pile of shame finished.

Currently working on Nier: Automata, finished the first of 3 play throughs.
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 05 Mar 2018, 14:25

Dropped off BF1 and Forza at the moment, Lone wolfing is a pain in the backside and Forza is either too easy or just not fun.

The latest races that I have completed on the hardest difficulty seem like they are designed for you to win them in the last half of the last lap.. so long as you don't get taken out by A.I. along the way!

But then switch it down a level and your up to the front and away within the first lap... I like a challenge but not one that can be taken away by A.I. so I have to replay the race again!

I have been playing The division again though! My my the end game has got a bit more interesting now. lots more points given for finding intel (phones/laptops) which then give you rewards of really really nice gear. Previously you would have needed to run though harder missions or raids for 30 mins and not get a lot for them...

Need to get the VR set up and running again, right pisser when the Desktop bonks itself! Setting up the Vive isn't hard at all though just being lazy!
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Mar 2018, 21:54

I can't believe it's the norm these days to have awful rubber banding AI in racing games particularly when we have more powerful consoles and more core but AI in general seems to be taking a lot of steps backwards. The rubber banding AI has ruined a couple of serious motorsport games as there is just no enjoyment in trying to beat another car which is always just behind you no matter how fast you go and if you completely cock it up, you can still catch the leaders which sometimes is actually easier than leading from the front. Always starting at the back of the grid and getting very little time to get to the front also needs to stop. Need for Speed Shift stands out as having really good AI (despite the NFS name, it was a sim game) as I remember playing it for the first time and doing the usual brake slightly later in the car in front only to find that car had outbraked itself so we both ended up in a gravel trap. The more aggressive driving as well made me think it must be online but no, these were computer driven players.

The lack of AI is also very noticeable in shooters with Destiny, Gears of War 4, Halo 5 Warzone Firefight and Division are all guilty of increasing difficulty by simply making enemies bullet sponges and dealing out much more damage. On the later rounds of Gears of War 4 Horde it's completely stupid as you can be a class with a number of health buffs (double health, faster health regen etc.) but still die to a single shot at range from the weakest enemy with the weakest gun which is only made to work at short ranges. Titanfall 2's Fronter Defence mode gets an honourable mention here as it scales the difficulty by improving the enemy titans, on the easiest settings they'll just walk pretty much straight to you firing their main weapons without using their abilities but as you go up the difficulty levels, while they get a bit more health and damage the main difference is they are much smarter making good use of their abilities and playing much better.

It was also noticeable when going back to the eight year old Halo Reach which was a 360 title and is miles more advanced than the current Halo 5 Firefight, almost all the enemies can be downed in just two shots and the difficulty of the top tier enemies comes from them being much smarter with fast evasive moves and good use of their weapons and abilities.

I haven't used my Vive in a while as been doing a lot of furniture stuff so there's not been a free play area, I like the look of the Vive Pro particularly as yoou can use your existing controllers and tracking system but not prepared to fork out for a new GPU as well even putting aside the daft bitcoin mining prices of GPUs right now.

I've been trying an early launch title called Deep Rock Galactic which is out on Xbox One/Windows store (cross play so buy it on one platform, play it on either) or Steam. It's a co-op game where you take control a Dwarf Miner in space and deployed to a procedurally generated cave system to find certain resources and fight off enemies along the way with four different classes to choose from. Initially I was playing it solo where you get a small drone that's meant to help you and was finding it so frustrating I was going to give up but thought it only fair to try some co-op with randoms which I've done and it's a lot more fun. It's a pretty simple game as there's no crafting or really anything fancy you can do but at the same time it's refreshing it's not trying to be anything like minecraft like so many games are these days. For £20 I feel it's too much as there's not much variety and there's no guarantee how the game will turn out but had my first go of buying on the Russian store for around £7 which I think is a reasonable price for it.
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 19 Mar 2018, 16:34

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades on the HTC Vive - Still loving this, I would highly recommend this for anyone that has a VR set that is compatible with it. The game won't drop down in price, the developer Anton is very active with weekly update videos and is very active on reddit communicating with people.

Stardew Valley - Nice and chill, Literally can do whatever i can be arsed to do which is fitting in well with me at the moment. Although I did play till 1:20am last night on it so.... not sure that's a good thing lol
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Mar 2018, 03:06

I have had H3VR on my wishlist for a while but didn't appeal to me for the price, what do you actually do with it?

I've been playing an Early Launch title called Deep Rock Galactic which is now available on the Xbox/PC (play anywhere/cross play) and Steam, it's a four player co-op where you play as Dwarves sent into procedurally generated caves to mine ore, find particular items and fight off swarms of bugs. There's four classes to choose between with a range of upgradeable skills and weapons which you earn through mining resources. I didn't like the game initially as it's poor in solo play and the caves are repetitive but it's a fantastic co-op with a creative mix of skills across the different classes plus it runs well on the PC. I've had a lot of fun with it and looking forward to see how it develops.

I've also been getting back into Super Hexagon which is an incredibly simple twitch reflex game where you simply rotate a hexagon at the centre of the screen left and right to dodge incoming shapes. The goal is merely to last 60 seconds which is exceptionally difficult particularly on the final difficulty level which is the hardest setting but running at double speed. I played it to death a few years ago eventually reaching the 60 seconds on both the PC and Android on the very toughest setting but despite the ridiculous difficulty it's a bizarrely addictive game. As the timer counts up, the game gives an audio announcement as you progress which is the only way you can tell how far you are as there's no time to look at the timer. It's almost bad knowing this because you get into the flow of the game and are playing it without really thinking (similar to Guitar Hero when you're pressing the buttons without thinking), when you hear 'Pentagon' announced that means you only need to survive ten seconds but that's often enough to kill you. I actually thought there was a glitch on my Note 8 as each time it announced 'New Record' the controls seemed to freeze but I found it was happening on an older phone so I think it was me freezing when I realised I'd progressed further.

To my surprise I managed to finish it again on the toughest setting within a couple of days so I guess it's just not something you forget but it still feels incredibly satisfying as the screen is moving incredibly fast and you start to feel the pinpricks of sweat as the game approaches 60 seconds. This is the game creator playing it to get an idea what I'm blethering about:

mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 03 Apr 2018, 10:22

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I have had H3VR on my wishlist for a while but didn't appeal to me for the price, what do you actually do with it?

It's a firearms simulator but with much more depth than just shooting ranges..

One of the stand out scenes for this game is Wurstworld - Its wild west theme park and you can only have weapons from that era i.e. single action revolvers, lever action rifles and shotguns.

It's full of puzzles, horseshoe throwing, etc. that in itself has a lot of content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/H3VR/wiki/scenes < full list of scenes.

I really like playing wurstworld and M.E.A.T.S. at the moment.

There is a lot of content for the price and my most played vr game!
Yeah!
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 15 May 2018, 09:58

Finally found my Xbox 360 copy of Red Dead Redemption again.... so have been playing that on Xbox one.

pondering how Red Dead Redemption 2 will turn out.
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Jun 2018, 16:00

Oh wow, my own forum screwed up and wiped a long reply.

Been trying to play Project Cars 2 but it's such a frustrating game, it's fun for a short while but it's so ridiculously punishing it puts off further play. The new Le Mans pack is out and I headed out onto the famous track with the hybrid Toyota slowly improving my times but every time I started a new lap the time was immediately disallowed because I'd put four wheels slightly off the track on the previous lap. I did try online but a lag skip screwed up my hot lap in one instance and after doing a near ten minute out lap at the Nurburgring I went a bit wide and clipped the barrier which damaged the steering. That meant another ten minute out lap before I could even try doing a time or just give up. Some of the game is so fun but I feel it needs a lot more work in making it more approachable as I'm not someone that is going to spend several hours continuously trying to get a reasonable lap time.

I've also been trying to play Deathwing on the PC after it has had improvements made for the console release but while it's an amazing implementation of the Warhammer lore it's just a bad actual game. The combat is irritating and clumsy, the AI teammates are absolutely hopeless and the enemies are very bland. I so badly want to like this game so I struggled on with it again today but then turned a corner and was one shotted forcing me to start the entire level again and just can't be bothered. I really wish they'd paid more attention to the older Space Marine game as they did a fantastic job with the combat gameplay ni that particularly the melee combo system which Deathwing lacks entirely, you've got this amazingly powerful Force Sword but all you can do is swing it or charge then swing it and using it just seems to end up in you losing all your health.

Return to “Gaming”