Nintendo Switch

Discuss PC and console gaming
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Nintendo Switch

Postby Replicant » 29 Sep 2017, 10:24

Sooooo... who has purchased the Switch and what are their thoughts on it

I am considering this just to play MK8 alone but need to know if there is anything else decent on the horizon.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Nintendo Switch

Postby EviL Ras » 29 Sep 2017, 11:05

I'd get it just to play wolfenstein!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Oct 2017, 17:58

I see Stardew Valley is coming out for the Switch which has me seriously tempted, I thought it was good on the PC but really much better suited to a portable.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant

Nintendo Switch

Postby Replicant » 04 Oct 2017, 09:30

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I see Stardew Valley is coming out for the Switch which has me seriously tempted, I thought it was good on the PC but really much better suited to a portable.

I know nothing of this game so had a look and am now wondering if you were being serious or not.
Y.N.W.A.
scarbunny

Nintendo Switch

Postby scarbunny » 04 Oct 2017, 11:37

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Sooooo... who has purchased the Switch and what are their thoughts on it

I am considering this just to play MK8 alone but need to know if there is anything else decent on the horizon.

The Switch is pretty good, there are quite a few decent games for it, but I rarely use it.

From my experience

MK8 - It's Mario Kart 8 so whats not to like? I've played maybe 4 of the cups since launch in April
Zelda - Is alright, I've not finished it, I bought the Season Pass a few months back to try and get me reinvested in it played for about a week and have not been back to it since.
Snipper Clips - Good fun at first, until you get into an argument with your other half, the puzzles are repetitive. Not played since launch.
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Is excellent played it every night for a couple of weeks, not gone back since.
Mario V Rabbids - Very nice looking game, basically a simplified, this doesn't mean easier, XCOM. Played a lot the first 2 days. Not been back since.

There's a bit of a running theme here, this isn't necessarily the fault of the Switch though, just if I'm at home wanting to play a game it's almost always going to be the Xbox I go to, I have the same issue with the PS4, and I'm almost never in a situation where I am out of the house and can or want to play games.

There are a few games I am tempted like Cave Story, Binding of Issac, Sine Mora and some others, but I either own them on other platforms or I can get them elsewhere for about £3. I would love to play Doom or Wolfenstien on the Switch but I've already 100%ed them on the Xbox so why would I spend another £40 same thing with Skyrim.

I'm excited for Mario and possibly Monster Hunter XX, depending on if it gets a UK release and what Monster Hunter World ends up being, and I'll probably get loads of use out of it when I'm on holiday, but for me day to day its a bit of a novelty. I accept other people might see the whole thing differently.

This ended up longer than I expected and I am pretty sure John is quite serious about Stardew Valley
Replicant

Nintendo Switch

Postby Replicant » 04 Oct 2017, 13:28

We have no other console in the front room so it has no competitor there. The XBOne is in our sons room so I never play it.

If there is nothing on TV for an our or so we start playing MK8 instead of some rubbish filler TV. Therefore MK8 has been played every day. Played a bit of Rayman which has been fairly enjoyable and now looking for other titles. Wifey wants Sonic and I would love Bomberman but it is a bit expensive at the moment. Could do with a couple of extra controllers too.

**EDIT** You can get Stardew Valley for £6.16 vie the Mexico eShop https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/starde ... re-2804805
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Oct 2017, 22:28

I'm serious about Stardew Valley, it's a great game but I think it would be well suited to a portable platform rather than the PC as it's the sort of game you pick up, play for a little bit then put down again.

I have a similar issue to Scar that I don't game much on the move although there's also not much games wise that appeals at the moment.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Oct 2017, 17:45

Well the lure of Stardew Valley was too much and now have a Switch with that and Mk8, seems a bit daft on one hand to get a console with two games I already have but on the other hand I cancelled the Xbox One order (thought I had a faulty Xbox, was just the power supply) and this gives me more than the replacement Xbox would have.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo Switch

Postby matt » 13 Oct 2017, 12:47

heheheeh.

Slippery slope John, you'll be raiding in destiny 2 before you know it ;)
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Oct 2017, 02:38

Not really, I'd always planned to get a Switch at some point when there was something I wanted to play on it as I liked the Wii U.

I'd certainly like to get back onto Destiny but I can't see the game changing, many of the D2 changes I dislike are intentional design choices to change the focus of the game and Bungie have always been poor at updating and improving Destiny.

John
Replicant

Nintendo Switch

Postby Replicant » 14 Nov 2017, 14:58

Picked up FIFA 18 for a tenner and have to say that I am kind of enjoying it. Although this is the first time I have played FIFA since about 2010 and there have been many changes!!

Still playing MK8 lots and considering getting Super Mario Odyssey too.
Y.N.W.A.
scarbunny

Nintendo Switch

Postby scarbunny » 15 Nov 2017, 17:18

Blimey that's a good price for FIFA.

Mario Odyssey is ok, I've not hit the credits yet which supposedly completely changes the game and it's so much better post credits so maybe I'll revise my opinion later but currently a good 7/10. It's a little soulless, the controls are awkward in places on both Joy-Cons and Pro Controller, I'm taking it on holiday so will probably try to 100% it.
Replicant

Nintendo Switch

Postby Replicant » 15 Nov 2017, 23:53

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Blimey that's a good price for FIFA.

A friend of a friend works for EA so I can get the odd game at cost. Only 1 copy though
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Nintendo Switch

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Nov 2017, 14:33

I've done around seven worlds in Mario Odyssey and so far it reminds me of Mario 3D on the Wii U in that it's a solid platformer but nothing exceptional or least that's grabbing me so far. It's similar to Mario 64 but instead of going for one star at a time you can just explore the level as you want to find the power moons. Some are very easy to find ranging to much more difficult ones, generally all you need to progress is a few easy ones and kill the boss on the level so you're free to either scour the levels for every last secret or speed through the game. Well aside from your assistant incessantly nagging you to go back to your ship when you have your required power moons if you choose to keep on exploring.

Like the Wii U the graphics don't feel underpowered as it's the usual bright and colourful design which looks great and each world has its own distinct theme. New to Mario Odyssey is that rather than get power ups to give more abilities, Mario can possess various enemies and use their abilities. It's generally implemented well with a lot of variety in those abilities and many of the secrets or collectables forcing to make good use of the abilities.

There are some motion controls although they're relatively minor and you don't need them most of the time although it is irritating that there's no alternative, if you switch off the main motion controls you lose a few attacks and are stuck with just a basic one. Motion controls and a handheld console really don't go well together so it's a strange decision, someone thought I was getting very annoyed with my Switch but it was just because I had to shake the console to make Mario climb faster within a time limit.
matt
Cake
Cake

Nintendo Switch

Postby matt » 16 Nov 2017, 15:52

Replicant wrote:Source of the post
scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Blimey that's a good price for FIFA.

A friend of a friend works for EA so I can get the odd game at cost. Only 1 copy though

can they sort any XBOX games :)

Return to “Gaming”